History 2 essay royal klang club

download History 2 essay royal klang club

of 10

  • date post

    20-May-2015
  • Category

    Sports

  • view

    408
  • download

    2

Embed Size (px)

Transcript of History 2 essay royal klang club

  • 1. [ARC 1323] Architecture Culture & History 2 PRECEDENT STUDYNAME OF BUILDING:Royal Klang ClubLECTURER:Ms. ShahrianneSTUDENTS NAME Ng You Sheng Loo Giap Sheng Daniel Yap Chung Kiat ChristiodySTUDENTS ID 0309997 0310390 0309100 03041911

2. IntroductionRoyal Klang Club Royal Klang Club is a recreation centre which located at Jalan Istana, Kawasan 1, Klang Selangor, Malaysia.The Royal Klang Club has come a long way from its beginnings as a bastion for the white British when Malaysia was still Malaya and under Crown rule. There was an informal gathering between a group of planters, the port Swettenham administrators and shipping agents and civil servants at a wooden bungalow on stilts. The wooden bungalow 2 3. had later become the premises of the Klang Recreational Club when it was founded in 1901. Klang was a place where East meet West when the administrative seat of the Federated Malay State of Selangor. Though the planters who ran the coconut and rubber plantations were European, their subordinates were locals who, upon learning English, took to English ways. In an exchange of cultures, many Britons took it upon themselves to learn Malay, Tamil and Cantonese. This was probably also due to the fact that young British agriculture officers were actually paid for learning a local dialect. The establishment of a recreation facility was, as quoted by R.O.Crawford, the Clubs secretary at the time, an undoubted necessity. But letters dating back to 1902 suggest that there may have been administrative problems that could very well have hampered the growth and formal establishment of the club in its early years. Whatever theories that may be about the date of its founding, 1901 is the date which members in recent times have long been led to believe is the year in which the Club was firmly established. Equally clear is that the Royal Klang Club was then the domain of the white rajahs; an elite recreation facilities for British civil servants. The Club set then consisted of planters not unlike the writer Somerset Maugham, members of the ports operations staff and members of the British administration system such as the District Officer, magistrates and medical officers. Another respected member was the Chief Inspector of Coconuts, a gentleman dedicated to ensuring the quality of the copra the estates were exporting. The original clubhouse was a wooden house on stilts in all probability a government bungalow which had been set aside as a centre for social and recreational activities which was restricted to Europeans only. The cost of the building was $1,000 a goodly sum in those times. However, it being a restricted-entry recreation facility did not mean the Club had no set-up difficulties. Correspondence from its formative years record genteel requests for government funding to purchase furniture and a billiards table. It was only five years later that a proper clubhouse was raised. The clubhouse was built on land that was actually part of the Istana Alam Shah had not yet been constructed. The Clubs current grounds were handed over to the Club chairman by the District Office in 1906. Subsequent Chairmen and Presidents were to act as trustees of the property. During the construction of Royal Klang Club, the land was belonged to Sultan Selangor's palace grounds. The president of Royal Klang Club successfully convinced the Sultan Selangor and land was bought after the completion of Royal Klang Club. Although the land of Royal Klang Club was uneven and consists of plenty of slopes, it does not affects the club very much because every sports are separated from each other and built only on a flat and even surface. By this time, the FMS Railway project had been completed, paring down the arduous journey from Klang to Kuala Lumpur from a three-and-a-half hour journey by 3 4. boat and bullock cart to a two-hour ride by train. This made socializing easier and resulted in a number of guests from Kuala Lumpur. Completed in 1910 after a years work, the clubhouse consisted of a hall and lounge area, dining room, bar and billiards room. The upper portion housed guestrooms and a theatre, which became a venue for Christmas plays and concerts. The Clubs tennis courts were the choice location for the Easter lawn tennis tournaments which was part of the Selangor Lawn Tennis Associations calendar of events. Its playing field saw rugby, hockey and cricket teams vying for sporting dominance, with planters teaming up against personnel from the port authority. The Skye Races, Klangs equivalent of Ascot, was also a much-awaited event, taking place on the grounds where the Klang Municipal Stadium now stands. The Club survived the ravages of the Japanese Occupation in 1942 to 1945 by becoming the recreation mess for Japanese Army officers stationed in Klang and Port Swettenham. While the British returned to Malaya in 1945, it was only after the Communist insurgency through the Fifties and up to 1960 that the Club once again became a popular watering hole and meeting place for British folk. The President of the Club was usually the District Officer or a senior police chief, although planters were also considered for office. The surrounding of Royal Klang Club is filled with trees and nature. If we were playing outdoor sports, we could experience calm and relaxing feeling due to the shade and wind provided by the nature and context. A dining area was added to the Clubs structure in 1965. Called the Smugglers Inn, it was nautical in design and d featuring fishing nets, beer casks and ship beams. cor, The large liquor bottles seen today on display near the rafters of the inn are a throwback to the Sixties. The Smugglers officially opened its door on 18 September, 1965 with a buffet supper being the first meal served.4 5. In the later part of the Sixties, under the Presidency of Reginald (R.J.) Collins, an avid theatregoer, the Club saw an increase in the activities of all things dramatic. It became the centre of British theatrical circles following the establishment of the Klang Theatre Workshop in 1967. Although there was an increase in the number of Malaysian faces in the membership after 1957, the Club fell on hard times after Independence. With the British planters and civil servants departing, the only regular Europeans were those from the shipping industry who treated the Club as just another port of call. Malaysian members were still screened carefully in the Sixties, resulting in the cream of the local crop comprising prominent businessmen and professionals. By this time, however the Club had deteriorated from lack of maintenance and was highly mortgaged. The first Malaysian President, Dr Lim Sian Lock, was the man responsible for pulling the Club out of the red when he took office in 1972. Membership fees were raised to $50, leaping to $300 in 1974. The fee broke into the four-figure range in 1983 when membership cost $1,500. The Club grew to include a swimming pool and annexe during the presidency of its second Malaysian head, Koh Seng Chong in 1976. Although membership increased steadily under third President Dato Shaari bin Mat Jihin who served from 1978 to 1981, the Club did not become a noted sporting entity, with the exception of gold and cricket, until the Eighties. However, the long-standing tradition of a Club-wide celebration of the major festivals was born in this period and continues today. In 1983, the Club was renovated and expanded under fourth President Tan Kim Chooi who holds the record for the longest term in office with 10 years. Membership continued to grow under subsequent Presidents Peter Tan and current head R. Nageswaran. But that is another story altogether. The Clubs millennium development is explored in the next chapter. Today, the Royal Klang Club is a landmark in the royal town where Klang notaries continue to gather socially and professionally, to partake in hearty fare, enjoy sporting camaraderie and build better communities. The past remains a book to learn from but the future is wide open and is being written even as this is read. And with such an illustrious past, the future can only be better.5 6. Architectural element and style Royal Klang Club was built in Klang under British Colonial Government. Although this building was built under British Colonial Government, it had adopted the Malay traditional houses concept in design. Malay traditional house consists of the elements such as vernacular roofs, harmonious proportions, adorned with decorative elements, shading and ventilation, have stairs and the using of renewable materials. All of these elements can be shown on Royal Klang Club. First of all, the planning layout of Royal Klang Club had shown similarities with the Malay traditional house. The orientation of Royal Klang Club is facing north-east which had adopted the same concept of Malay traditional house which was facing eastwest to minimize areas exposed to solar radiation. Besides that, this orientation also suits the wind pattern in Malaysia. Thus, the building will have good ventilation and provide a cooling space in a tropical country. In the building layout, open plan concept was adopted in the design of Royal Klang Club in order to provide good ventilation. The elongated open plans allow easy passage of air, assuring cross ventilation is achieved and thus create good ventilation. Renewable material such as timber was used to construct Royal Klang Club in seventies which share the same feature as the Malay traditional house. Timber used in the construction of Royal Klang Club usually connected without nails. The most specific element that we can see on this building is the top part of this building, which is gabled roof, a basic design of vernacular roof that was used in Malay traditional house. The roof is extended for quite a distance from the exterior wall of the building, creating a big area of shades which can cover the building from taking in dire